If you are a Kansas resident and your insurer denies your coverage after the external review process, you can file a complaint with the Kansas Department of Insurance (“Department”).

Complaint information. Your complaint should include the following information:

  • The name, address, email address, and telephone number of the person filing the complaint (“applicant”);
  • The name of insurer;
  • Policy number, claim number, and date of loss; and
  • The reason for and details of the complaint.[18]

Supporting documents. You should also submit the following supporting documents with your complaint:

  • A copy of your insurance card;
  • Copies of coverage denials or adverse benefit determinations from your insurer;
  • Copies of any determinations made by internal and external reviewers;
  • Any materials submitted with prior appeals and complaints;
  • Supporting documentation from your health care provider;
  • A copy of your insurance policy; and
  • All responses from your insurer.[19]

How to submit. The complaint and supporting documents can be submitted online here, faxed to (785) 296-5806, or mailed to:

Kansas Department of Insurance
Attn: Consumer Assistance Division
420 SW 9th Street
Topeka, KS 66612-1678[20]